April 12, 2018, Fort Lauderdale, FL – Dr Joseph Maroon, along with his numerous other titles and responsibilities, is also the Senior Vice President of American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M). At their most recent national meeting on brain health Dr Maroon led a day long workshop entitled, Medical Marijuana (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD): What All Healthcare Providers Need to Know.
Dr Maroon noted in his opening remarks that:
Numerous physical, psychological and emotional benefits have been attributed to marijuana since its first reported use in approximately 2,600 BC in Chinese pharmacopoeias. In 1986, there were 8 articles listed in PubMed under the topic of “medical marijuana”, and in 2016, over 500 were published. This is a 6,000% increase! Research into the neurological benefits of both CBD and Δ9-THC, together and separate, has demonstrated numerous neuroprotective effects against excessive oxidative stress and inflammation associated with a variety of neurological diseases and conditions.
Due to the explosion of societal, political and legislative changes in the U.S. medical marijuana has been legalized 29 states since 1996, the majority within the last 5 years. The large numbers of healthcare providers in these states have had little, if any, formal education or training about condition specific recommendation, dosing, side effects, quality and drug interactions. This workshop is designed to help educate the curious to regular prescribers on a wide variety of medical marijuana related topics based on the latest science and clinical experience.
1. Educate the curious to regular prescribers on a wide variety of medical marijuana related topics based on the latest science and clinical experience.
2. Introduce the phytocannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD), delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), and other extracts from the plant species cannabis sativa from both hemp and marijuana subspecies.
3. Learn the various health related applications of medical marijuana based on interactions with the endocannabinoid system.
4. Review latest clinical research on cancer, neurological, psychological, metabolic and pain disorders using medical marijuana.
5. Training to include condition specific dosing, side effects, quality and drug interactions using medical marijuana.
See Pre-conference Video Webinar Presented by Dr Maroon that discusses concepts of Cannabis for Better Brain Health